Re: what damping formulation we use?

Hi,

where exactly does come the damping formulation we use in Yade?
It comes from Cundall (e.g. PFC manual). Either Cundall changed his mind at a point and it is not the same as in early papers, or perhaps Hentz made the same mistake as me when he saw the equation first. Note that (**) is (*) if you apply Einstein convention inside the bracket of (**).
In PFC manual, it actually reads :

"Δaᵢ=-λaᵢsgn(F_(ᵢ) v_(ᵢ) ') for i=1..3"

With the brackets on indices clearly excluding Einstein summation.

I understand that in (*) you have to compute 1 square root, have to make
sure that |v|>0 etc, making (**) more efficient, but also less obvious
(it is not invariant to coordinate system rotation, for instance :-|)
Yes, it really make this damping what it is : a numerical trick.
The funny part is that if you compute it like in (*), it is even worst : it generates locked-in forces and stable numerical solutions for non-equilibrium states, crazy. This is what I found when I used (*) for this model :
http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2005)131:7(689)

In short, can I get some references for what we use?

In PFC manual, the reference for (**) is the one given by Hentz :

Cundall, P. A. “Distinct Element Models of Rock and Soil Structure,” in Analytical and Computational Methods in Engineering Rock Mechanics, Ch. 4, pp. 129-163, E. T. Brown, Ed. London:
Allen & Unwin., 1987.

If this book really gives (*) (I don't know, to be honnest), you can cite my paper above for a reference to (**).

Bruno

p.s. For rotation, I vote "q"! :)