Re: triaxial test with membrane

On 7 June 2010 07:13, Luc Sibille <luc.sibille@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is just to give some details about strain localization. I don't think
> you need a menbrane to obtain shear band, it has already been found in a
> rigid cubical box with the DEM, and experimentally on sand with the
> apparatus TRITRI in lab. 3S-R. Experimentally they found that the shear band
> was reflected on the rigid boundaries.
>

> About periodic boundaries, I think I have already seen shear band with
> periodic boundaries, but shear band are somehow constraint since they have
> to verify the periodicity.

If it is true that shear bands might be a natural phenomenon, then also with
a PBC it is possible to see them. But I think you are right, Luc, that the
constraint due to the periodicity could be a "problem". At least it would be
almost impossible a study of the inclination of the bands, which would be
inevitably affected by the periodicity.

Janek, may I ask you how is your membrane going? I am just very curious, it
would be much more than interesting to have it in Yade.
thanks, Chiara