Re: energy conservation?

Thanks for the suggestion of getting ride of plastic dissipation; it was indeed the source of error. I attach 2 figures, one with plastic dissipation, one without (frictAngle=0); in the second case, the energy is well conserved (total relative to the max is somewhere around 1e-5, which is pretty good). Bruno, any idea why the dissipation term in Law2_ScGeom_FrictPhys_CundallStrack gives erroneous (over-estimated) values?

I was looking at that just now. Having energy conserved without friction is a good thing, but it is a really weak test unfortunately. No friction means no rotations of bodies (*1)... basically a 1D mass spring system (modulo collisions generating horizontal motion).

I don't know how to track energy creation better. What I can recall is plastic dissipation is correct in quasistatic loading (attached energy bilan in periodic triax), so the problem must be linked with some dynamic behaviour (most probably rotations, see *1) more than the dissipation function in CundallStrack itself.

Cheers.