Re: Google Summer of Code 2011

Dear all,

Maybe it is not possible, or at least quite difficult, to put together in a same software all the best features for DEM.
Each code has his advantages and imperfections.

For instance, to make simulations with 500 000 particles or more, it is presently better to use Esys, but in Esys there is no rotation-torque contact law. Yade is more versatile and there is a much larger choice of contact laws. But as Yade is mode versatile, it may be difficult to make it as fast as Esys, and so on.

Consequently, in my opinion, there are different codes with different advantages, and depending on what you want to do, you will use one code or another. Of course, it is only my personnal opinion of code user and bad programmer.

Best regards,
Luc

Václav Šmilauer a écrit :

Well, I think it would be easier to start from "very simple" yade-mpi
version. Without UI, OpenGL (only VTK) and python interface.
Just to make it work.
Then I would say it is easier to just download ESyS-particle...? What is Yade without Python?