Re: [Branch ~yade-pkg/yade/git-trunk] Rev 3705: Explicitly link ZLIB-library

2013/10/10 Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thanks for comments Anton.
>> Well, we do really use bzip2 and gz compressors in some parts
>> of the code [1], so the dependency on both of them should be there.
> We surely use them. The question was more to know if the "-dev" packages
> were needed.

For compilation - yes.

> I understand from your message that the "-dev" packages can be
> considered requirements as long as we speak of compilation. Do you also
> consider making them dependencies for the binary packages of yade? It
> makes less sense to me.

No, Debian`s package system (hopefully other distros too) is clever
enough to generate only necessary dependencies for particular package. If you do
"apt-cache depends yade-daily", you will see, that only binary (not
-dev) package are included into dependency of yade-daily.

By other words, if you install yade from packages, -dev packages will
not be installed, only binary ones. But using only this set of packages
will not let you compile yade on this machine, you will need -dev(s) anyway.

Anton