Migrating to GitLab

Hi devs,
This is an announcement (1) and call for opinions (2).

(1)  We will be migrating the integration framework to GitLab.com soon. That is: the config of buildbot, doc generation, and packaging will be using gitlab and will be hosted on gitlab.com [1], while hardware ressources will be provided locally by 3SR and/or Gricad's Gitlab [2].
It should increase flexibility and decrease maintainance issues.
Rémi made most of the work already (thank you!). Curious about it? You can check [3].
The switch could happen in a couple months.

_______
(2)
GitLab.com could also host the master branch in replacement of GitHub.com. It is not required though, and there is no problem to keep it on GitHub (like we kept bug tracking on launchpad after moving master to github), or not. This is open question to me. Migrating a branch is easy to do and easy to revert, so there is no technical constraint on us. It just needs to decide if we want to keep github or adopt gitlab for the source code (or both...).

If source code was migrated, same question for bug tracking and answers?

Whatever is decided for the above, the migration is also a good opportunity to think about the branch management model. Are we happy with it? Currently we have a centralized usage of a distributed CVS. Most contributors push to master directly  with strictly no pre-assessement of the contributions. Another possible (and classical) model would be to only accept merge requests from other branches. Which can have advantages, namely: easier to review since the the requests will usually collect a larger number of commits (all from a single user typically, hence self consistent), and more secured since it favors pre-assessment.

Opinions?

Cheers

Bruno

[1] https://about.gitlab.com/product/