Re: gitlab

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 18:56, Janek Kozicki <cosurgi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, wait. You want to work by merge requests? By that you mean the
> https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/merge_requests/new ?

Exactly.

> Heh, I am used to git in CLI, I am not sure about the www interface.

No difference. Your CL interactions will be between your local and your
gitlab/cosurgi branhes.
When ready you got to that www interface and request merge (can't be done
"simply" with CLI, although traces of this exist on forums).

> On mailing list I just proposed to work on branches. In fact I imagine
> that fixing-examples, yade-mpi, yade-fluid would be all branches here:
> then everyone would see what branches are there and what people are
> working on. Then make the develop branch for merging other branches.
> Then only put tags on master branch when release happens.

That's more or less what I have in mind to.
The thing is that all those secondary branches will be under personnal
accounts, just like github/yade-mpi.

> In fact to make branches a bit more clear I would like to remove all
> unused branches: 0.20 0.50 0.60 0.70 0.80 0.90 0.95 0.97 1.00 1.05
> 1.07 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.14 1.20 2016.06 2017.01 2018.02 because in
> fact they have tags. And tags is what is used to keep track of
> releases.

I guess the numbered branches are stable branches and they are necessary
for versionning binary builds. But thta's more a question for Anton and/or
Rémi.

> Not branches. If anyone would need to branch from a release
> he would branch from a tag.

Suppose we want to update the binary package for ubuntu 16.04 and only that
one. It needs a dedicated branch, or I don't get your point?

> But maybe that's too much of a revolution. And you might not want that ;)

I'm open to discuss everything.

> ah, maybe I should have sent this to mailing list. Feel free to copy
> that and answer to mailing list ;)

Forwarded. :)

Bruno