Re: Release, GitLab?

> > - Should we disable commits on github?
> I think so. Last commits are the pull request from Boon, I merged them
> into gitlab already.
> Keeping github open after the migration would be misleading.

agreed. Especially we should do this when release happens.
I merged his latest commits too.

> > - Should all links in the Yade code be updated to GitLab variants?
> It should be the case already. The doc in gitlab repo is visible here
> [1] and points to gitlab. I did not find any other github link in sources.
> There is still a need to 1/ redirect yade-dem.org to those pages or 2/
> upload the pages on yade-dem.org.

try command

  grep github . -irn --exclude ChangeLog --color

there are still  some mentions of github in documentation.

> A related issue, maybe, is that the search box is disabled on gitlab.io.
> We discussed that with Rémi without a clear conclusion yet.
> Any idea?

I don't know anything about the searchbox yet.

> Also, I just found that I searched-replaced a bit too hastly in [1],
> which led to a broken link to https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/yadedaily/ ; in
> [2].
> I guess we can also migrate yadedaily repo (and make it point to gitlab
> simultaneously)? It would fix that link.
>
> [1] https://yade-dev.gitlab.io/trunk/installation.html
> [2] https://yade-dev.gitlab.io/trunk/installation.html#packages

agreed.

> > - Do we prepare release from GitLab?
> Yes if you don't see problems with that. It is the most up-to-date given
> the github/gitlab link replacement mentioned above.

yes.

> > Also we need to decide, how this release will be done. As usually,
> > creating 2019.01-branch and tagging the release there? Or creating
> > the single "stable" branch for all other future releases?
> I would say "as usual".

I would prefer stable branch and tags. But it doesn't matter that
much. We can do "as usual", no problem ;)

Although it would be nice if we deleted stale branches on

  https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/branches/stale

not all of them. Just those which are no longer needed. But still we
have a backup copy here (if its ever needed):

  https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk-exp/branches/stale

I ask about this for a very simple reason: so that the command

  git branch -a

is easier to read.

> > I am ready to postpone the release for the next couple of days to
> > solve this questions, if necessary.
>
> I am ready to postpone the freeze of github for the same reason. ;)
> If there is no problem releasing from gitlab now, then we can declare
> migration effective and close github.

let's postpone it one or two days. I still didn't finish writing in
documentation the short descriptions of all examples :)

best regards
Janek