Re: clang-format (Was: Re: Removing trailing white space, yay or nay?)

Thanks for clarification Janek,
Yes, apparently kate and kedevelop5 [1] both have clang plugins.
Might be a bit more involved to get it working on 16.04 (there's kdevelop4)
but it should be doable.
Bruno
[1] https://www.kdevelop.org/news/first-beta-release-kdevelop-500-available

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 14:53, Janek Kozicki (yade) <jkozicki-yade@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Bruno Chareyre said:     (by the date of Mon, 21 Oct 2019 11:57:28 +0200)
>
> > Hi Anton,
> > It's not yet all clear to me how it will work.
> > What would be the workflow in general for, let's say, a kdevelop/kate
> user?
> > Edit, then "git-clang-format" before commit?
>
> I pushed the script `scripts/clang-formatter.sh` which you can call on
> file or a directory and it will do the formatting. The script checks
> beforehand if there are any uncommitted changes, so that you do not
> mix substantial changes with formatting changes. Mixing them in
> single commit might cause problems with reading history, I suppose.
>
> > I'm particularly curious about your statement in the giltab thread [1]:
> > "Reformatting everything is not the best idea. It will change everything
> > and can hurt the history. I would propose to do it step by step, only by
> > changing the files."
> >
> > Do you suggest that each time a file will be modified it should be also
> > re-formatted, but no systematic reformatting would be done beyond that?
> > Isn't it maximizing the risk of mixing real changes with formatting? I
> > would think reformatting everything in one single commit would make the
> > history much more clear.
>
> Honestly I don't know. I think that at least for start we should just
> try to get comfortable with the new system. If we agree that it works for
> everyone then maybe we can reformat everything.
>
> clang-format appears to be a quite popular tool. I figured out how to
> invoke it from inside vim on the selected text [1]. I am pretty sure you
> can do the same from kdevelop/kate.
>

> > Last thing I'm thinking about: how will we avoid that different
> > authors with (even slightly) different editing tools and
> > auto-formating settings end up in committing conflicting
> > auto-formats?
>
> The basic assumption is that once we have a .clang-format file, the
> script `scripts/clang-formatter.sh` produces the same results for everyone.
>
> So even if you mix the formatting somehow, this script will reset it
> to what is in the repository.
>
> However I didn't yet check if the results on ubuntu 16.04 are the
> same as on debian bullseye. We better check that before a
> full-rollout.
>
> Janek
>
> [1] https://gitlab.com/yade-dev/trunk/merge_requests/298#note_232967339

Bruno Chareyre