Re: A suggestion/contribution regarding bug of Yade-users #694548

Hello all,

Just a short e-mail to give some news (work is in progress still).

I believe that I found the origin of the bug discussed in issue 694548. Not much related to what I suspected initially (hence, this will be the subject of another thread 😉️).

It turns out that the bug was a bit "big" from the start, in the sense that I believe the original writer of the code would have noticed it easily. Hence, it makes me a bit suspicious… Is my "fix" actually safe to use? Or was the code meant to be written this way, and my fix will break something else?

Therefore, before sharing my findings I wanted to check if the MWE given in issue 694548 also fails with the first version of the code (dfec202) to feature what I believe is an error in the source. If not, then perhaps my "fix" will be breaking something else…

As of now, I am trying to compile Yade as of commit dfec202, which turned out to be quite a nightmare… And that is where I am now still… That being said, I am hopeful to solve it soon. 😊️ I'll give some more news early next week, hopefully to close this issue.

Klaus Thoeni, Wed, 24 Feb 2021 11:36:21 +1100
> I will have to look into this. In the meantime, it would be
> excellent if you could share your solution, best is to push
> your changes to your fork on gitlab if you have one.

As it is, it still needs some cleanup before it can be submitted. That's why I proposed to discuss the general idea first (otherwise, it's not worth the effort).

But first, let's close 694548. Since it is a more localized issue, it helps me build confidence in interacting with an existing opensource project. So not a waste of time! 😉️

Then I'll create a new thread/discussion for the original topic I wanted to discuss.

Janek Kozicki, Wed, 24 Feb 2021 12:55:15 +0100
> reformat with the same .clang-format file your old branch (*).

Thanks for the tip Janek 👍️

Bruno Chareyre, Fri, 26 Feb 2021 15:00:53 +0100
> I'm eager to understand which problem you found. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! 😊️
And I believe I already have an account with the required rights and everything (we communicated last year). But let's check that when the moment comes…

Gaël