Re: About SDEC packing

Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sure! I will give the most help I can if Yuannian wants to write
> something for this. I have one procedure in mind, I have already
> coded
> it in the past for 2D packing.
> This is not exactlly the same as the one from SDEC (mine is easier to
> code ;)).
>
> Thanks a lot! As I'm not familiar with Linux system which
> the YADE runs on only, I've to write the code by myself. Currently
> I'm working on the sphere packing algorithm comparison. I tried
> the RCP (random close packing), but it seems the effect is not
> very good for my study. I'll try to combine the geometric and
> dynamic ways to realize this problem. By the way, which type of
> method you used for your 2D packing?

1/ Random generation in a box (without contact - without gravity).
2/ Radii expansion until one prescibed value of the confining pressure
is reached
3/ Possibly : decreasing slowly the contact friction to densify the packing.

The packings obtained are homogeneous and isotropic, and you can choose
the final porosity and the relative particle size distribution.
It is the only method I know that combine all those aspects.

Bruno

  Hi, Bruno:
  Thanks for your information!  Seems good. I guess your method is a dynamic way for packing.(?)  Generally dynamic approach will cost more time than purely geometric way. How long will it run a packing, like saying, for 10,000 spheres in 2D?  Also for 3D problem, the computation consumption will increase dramatically. We may have to consider this. Can you share your 2D packing code to me? Let's see if I can modify it into 3D. If it works I'll back the 3D code to you guys.

-- Yuannian Wang

Chareyre Bruno
Maître de conférence

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau I08
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 04.56.52.86.21