Re: problem while running YADE - Segmentation Fault

Tal Wexler Evron said:     (by the date of Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:07:12 +0200)

> Hi Janek,
> Thank you for the file, however whan compilng it I have some errors (you can
> see in the attachment), do you have an idea what could be the problem ?
> thanks,
> Tal.

Hello,

This serialization is exactly the same as used in yade. The only
difference is that tuples are not used in yade. But in this
serialization snippet they are used, just to test if they work
correctly.

Conclusion is obvious: this compiler you are using is too old.

When we were writing yade we were using the lastest advantages
(compliancy with C++ ISO standard, from year 1998) of g++ compiler, I
don't remember now, exactly what it was, but I remember now that there
were problems with older compilers. You can try to get a newer compiler,
or maybe install some other newer linux distribution.

I have checked that Red Hat 8 has been released in 2002, so your linux
distribution is 4 years old. I remember that at that time redhat didn't
have a good package managment (many people call it .rpm dependency hell)
- and because of that making updates of packages to newer versions was
very difficult, and nobody was doing that. Also it's very likely that
all your problems are exactly because you have too old libraries (glibc
for example).

With newer distributions package management is almost automatic, and
you can download latest updates with single click, no more .rpm hell.

I'm preparing now a short guide for Yuannian about how to install
kubuntu on the computer and run yade on it. It maybe worthwile for you
to try this too.

I'll post this guide soon - today or tommorow.

You can start downloading and burning a DVD with kubuntu 6.06 :)