Re: generating spheres during simulation

-----Original Message-----
From: yade-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:yade-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruno Chareyre
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:49 PM
To: yade-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Yade-users] generating spheres during simulation

> I would like to know if it is possible to generate sphere during the
> simulation.  It can be significantly reduce the amount of computing
> during the simulation of initial condition since each group of spheres
> can be calculated separately.

Like generating 100 spheres, computing 100 time increments, then add
more spheres? I think you can.
But how? Which engine will class inherit from? Is it the StandAloneEngine?

> Another issue is that if it is possible to deactivate the sphere
> during the simulations, as I guess we can change the flag isDynamic in
> sphere class and assign some velocity to the spheres. But is there any
> way to delete them during the simulation?

For the moment no element deletion, because some interactions in some
containers would point to non-existent elements. Yes, you need to set
IsDynamic=false and move them elsewhere.

OK. I got it

> One of the advantage of DEM is that we  can observed the force network
> as well as some other properties such as coordination number inside
> the material. Can anyone give me some hints to draw a force network in
> YADE?"

In the interface, go in "display", and activate the option
"interacting_geometry", it will draw force network.
If, you have problems with the scaling factor (thikness of branches in
the network), activate/desactivate the "interaction_wire" option; it
will set the scaling to a value more relevant for your simulation.

It works. Thank you so much

Another issue is I am writing a paper about the packing scheme, however, I was not able to find any paper mentioned about the YADE formulas (i.e. contact law, damping, macro-micro relationship, etc.) at WIKI site (in publication section), could you please give me any paper which has a brief introduction of YADE?

> Kien Dang

Chareyre Bruno
Maitre de conference

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43