About RotationEngine ?

Hello everybody. I am focusing about the "RotationEngine" (in pkg/common/Engine/DeusExMachina) and trying to understand well what it does, so I have for instance one simple question :

- which is the purpose of the line "/rb->se3.orientation.ToAxisAngle(ax,an);/" ? I think I understand what it does : it affects to the 3-real vector "/ax/" and the real "/an"/ (both declared few lines above) respectively the axis and angle of the rotation corresponding to the quaternion "/orientation/".
But why ?
These "/an/" and "/ax/" seem indeed never to be used after that...
Thanks

Jerome