From: yade-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Bruno Chareyre
Sent: Tue 3/25/2008 5:44 AM
To: yade-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Yade-users] staticity quantification

Hehehe.
You don't like the "UnbalancedForce" parameter? ;-)

It is exactly what you are looking for, and its already used the way you
want to use it (switch between isotropic and axial compression)

TriaxialCompressionEngine :

if ( UnbalancedForce<=StabilityCriterion &&
abs((meanStress-sigma_iso)/sigma_iso)<0.005 ) {
if(currentState==STATE_ISO_COMPACTION && autoCompressionActivation){
doStateTransition(STATE_ISO_UNLOADING);

"UnbalancedForce" is a normalized sum of forces on all bodies.
It can be a bit higher than 1 when the system is really far from
equilibrium (e.g. at the begining of the isotropic compression when only
peripheral spheres are pushed by boxes), but it is generally between 0
and 1.
At static equilibrium, it is exactly equal to 0, which of course never
happen. A reasonable value to consider something is stabilised could be
between 1% and 0.1%.

Bruno

Václav Smilauer a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I would like to quantify how much has a simulation approached static
> state (provided such state exists). Has someone done that? I thought of
> summing velocity norms (but what should be the threshold here?) or
> perhaps observing whether global stiffness is almost-constant. (Bruno,
> you're expert on that, how would you do that?)
>
> The reson for that is to programatically stop simulation once desired
> state is reached, without user interaction, so that I cun say: run that
> until it is done.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vaclav

Chareyre Bruno
Maitre de conference

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43