Re: how to run the example files?

Hi, Anton,

The reason why I am interested in the rod_penetration example is because I
want to learn how to import stl geometries into yade.  It looks like quite a
lot has been changed since 0.20-2.

The case I am interested in solving is the following:

a cup, 3mm X 12 mm X 40 mm, contains about 50 % of liquid.  In the liquid,
there are about 1 million para-magnetic particles (1 micro in diameter).
At time = 0, the para-magnetic particles are randomly distributed in
liquid.  Then, a permanent magnet is placed next to the cup.  Hence, the
magnetic field starts to attract the particles toward the cup wall.  I would
like to know how long it takes to attract all particles to the wall.  The
cup geometry is not a simple box of cylinder.  So, I need to import the cup
geometry in stl format.

I have already calculated the magnetic field (flux and also magnetic force
field) using a finite element PDE solver, called getDP.  The magnetic field
is static, not time dependent. Because the particles are para-magnetic, it
can be assumed that the magnetic force is like external body acting on the
particles, like gravity, except that the magnetic force field varies with
space.

Is it possible to read the magnetic force calculated outside of yade into
yade?  How to apply the force on the particles?  Because the magnetic force
varies with space, the force on each particle has to find out from the nodes
(or cells) where the magnetic force was calculated.

How to apply drag force on the particles?  Drag force varies with speed of
the particles.

If the problem above is achieved, then, I would like to extend to next step:

After all particles has been attracted at the cup wall, a small tube comes
down to near the bottom of the cup, turn on vacuum to "suck" all liquid
inside the cup out.  I would like to know if the magnetic force is strong
enough to hold the particles in place.  This will involve coupling yade with
OpenFOAM (free surface with surface tension effect).  If this is done, I
will image that, it has to be done on a cluster because this has to be very
calculation intensive.

Pei-Ying