Re: [yade-users] Geometry efffects in triaxial loadings?

Hi,

Your are right Bruno, I made an error by introducing max_vel1, 2 and 3, sorry. Your correction should solve the problem.

 Luc

Bruno Chareyre a écrit :
Hi Luc Scholtès (and Luc Sibille, read that too)

I think the problem had been introduced with these lines in TTController  :
-               max_vel1=3 * width /(depth+width+depth)*max_vel;
-               max_vel2=3 * height /(depth+width+depth)*max_vel;
-               max_vel3 =3 * depth /(depth+width+depth)*max_vel;

Now (r2066) replaced by :

+               max_vel1=3 * width /(height+width+depth)*max_vel;
+               max_vel2=3 * height /(height+width+depth)*max_vel;
+               max_vel3 =3 * depth /(height+width+depth)*max_vel;

I didn't check the result yet. Tell me if that's better.

Bruno

luc scholtes a écrit :
Hi all,

(Bruno, you probably have an idea about this)

A remark for those who are interested in doing triaxial loadings on samples with height/width ratio different from 1. Here is the test I did:

1 - take 2 samples, one with a ratio equal to 1 (a cube typically) and another with a ratio equal to 2. 2 - give them exactly the same micro properties (it appears to me that it is more interesting with a high E(Yade Young Modulus)/confiningPressure ratio) 3 - from an initial dense state (say that you have already created a dense sample with the compaction procedure of the triaxial state), apply them an hydrostatic loading in order to reach a higher confining pressure, with a sufficiently small wall velocity to avoid inertial effects (setting the maxVel parameters small enough) 4 - plot the evolution of the 3 principal stresses as a function of 1 one the 3 principal strains (the corresponding strain rates are equal according to the servo-controlled controlller) for both of the 2 samples.

-> see the attached figure for the results

As you can see, in the case of the cube, the 3 principal stresses evolve in an identical way with the deformation, which is a good news, but, unfortunately, for the sample with a ratio heigh/width = 2, we can see that it is not the case at all. The stresses reach the desired confining pressure, but there is a kind of a delay between the axial stress (S2) and the radial ones (S1,S3) that occurs during the loading: the axial stress increase more rapidly than the 2 others... This leads to less deformation in the axial direction than in the radial ones to reach the desired confining pressure.

I tried with several velocities and with very low damping values (wallDamping=0, damping(NewtonIntegrator)=0.05), and I always get the same result. The sample is supposed to be isotropic and homogeneous in regards to contact forces and orientations distribution.

One of my experienced colleague though about relaxation effects that should occur in the sample, creating this delay between the axial and the radial responses of the system.

If you have any advice....

Cheers

  Luc