Re: Sign convention contact laws

what about the shear velocity? Do you agree that the way we define it is related to a local system? This is simple to see, just try to invert the ids and you will see what I mean.

No! It is not related to any local system!
Let grainA with id=1, grainB with id=2.

Compute relVel, then force=f is applied by grainA on grainB.

Now let grainA with id=2, grainB with id=1.

the force is now -f, but it represents the one applied by grainB on grainA. What's wrong? This holds whatever the convention.

Now, going from one convention to the other just results in 2 sign inversions, you get force=-f instead of force=f, but you apply "force" on body1 instead of body2. Same result.

B.