Re: Damping shear direction

On 25 March 2010 11:57, Anton Gladky <gladky.anton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Chiara!
>
> Recently I have got some problems with damping in shear directions, but I
> don't know the reason.
>
> When my RockPM had only normal forces, it worked normally. When I added
> shear forces, bodies started to "hang" in the air. If I reduce dampingCoef,
> it become better, but too low dampingCoef brings other problems.
>
> I use only NewtonIntegrator for damping purposes, so I have to check it
> there.

Hi Anton,

the local damping (alias the one defined used in NewtonIntegrator law) is
working properly in the shear direction as well as in the normal. This time
I have not properly checked with a closed solution (it is a little bit more
complicated than with viscous damping) but numerically I get the expected
behavior (so I see an energy dissipation and a tendency to an equilibrium
position).
I do not know about your specific problem, maybe you can try to use the
viscous damp and see what happens (but wait till Sergei will have updated
his class).

cheers, Chiara