Re: Damping shear direction

I think that the global damping (the one at the contact level) as it is now implemented in Yade (class ViscoelastiPM) is wrong in the shear direction.

There is confusion here. Global damping from Cundall is in Yade, but it is in Newton and independent on the contact law. It is not "shear" or "normal" because its applied on bodies. Here, you refer to viscous damping at contact, which is totally different. I would not mix both damping methods. Viscous is physical but not optimal in terms of cpu time. Global damping is numerical trick, but it is very efficient. By mixing them, you loose the advantage of each but you cumulate the drawbacks (not physical + suboptimal).

Bruno