Re: π=2 ?! (Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys)

2010/3/25 Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> [...]
> paper), and it is easy to test with DEM (I did that and found dl=0.25*eps*l
> instead of eq. (1) in my case).
>

>   let me know over which
>> points we disagree:
>>

> Good!
>
>  1. Contact stiffness is something like a[N]/lengthOfContact[m]
>>

> I don't have length of contact in mind more than area of contact. Or,
> perhaps, say length of contact is size of particles, and keep going.
>

>  2. a[N] is some quantity proportional to some particle-defined modulus
>> (not saying it is E of continuous medium)
>>

> Ok.
>
>  3. a is something like Young's modulus [Pa] * b[m²] (by dimensionality)
>>
>> 4. let us take (2r) as lengthOfContact (same radii, for simplicity) (the
>> most obvious choice)
>>

> Ok, we converge here. The thing is, in theorems of dimensional analysis
> (Buckingam), you really put the basic physical quantities, and size of
> particles is really the fundamental size in the system, not just an
> approximation of contact "length".
>
>  5. there is a thing Material::young [Pa] (note E below), defined in
>> Material class; we take is as the value of Young's modulus [Pa] (the
>> most obvious choice again)
>>

> No. E is not "Young" modulus, it is the stiffness of contacts. It is called
> young because again, I adapted existing code the lazy way, and also because
> we have same data class for different laws, where the meaning of the data is
> not the same in each law.
> For a similar reason, I renamed Poisson -> KsDivKs some time ago in
> preprocessors. I can't (or can I?) change the name in the data class though.
>
>  6. let's call this b[m²] "contact area", since it is area related to the
>> contact (pure terminology thing)
>>  7. the current equation in yade is: kn=Er=E(2r²)/(2r), so "contact area"
>> b[m²]=2r². Contrary to other obvious choices (4,5), it is very much
>> non-obvious what is the geometrical meaning of 2r².
>>

> Irrelevant for me : no area and no length.
>
> However, adopting your philosophy (which is as correct as mine I think), I
> could say that contact area is obviously more than the  projection of the
> grain, since there is void around grains which should be associated to each
> interaction (the sum of interaction "volumes" should be the total volume of
> the packing right?).
> If you consider a regular square packing, it gives a cube of size D for
> each grain (or each interaction), area = D². The fact that you see an
> apparent (2r²) instead of D² here is because you ignored the factor "2"
> multiplying the harmonic average. With that factor, you can write kn=E.D²/D,
> and the Young modulus of the cube is exactly the E used to define kn. In
> this special case, you have exactly E=E*.
>

>  What I was saying was merely that it would be nicer to use πr² instead
>> of 2r², which is cross-section area of cylinder between the particles.
>>
>> If I can give my opinion (very little since I still have quite a lot to
learn in the time yet to come) we know that from the contact mechanics when
two particles get in contact (let consider only the case of elastic
flattening) we can approximate the area of interaction as πa² (so a flat
surface), where a is the current contact area. It is an approximation since
we are neglecting the curvature, but it is a useful relation once we want to
work out the interaction force due to the interaction surface energy between
two particles (it is the so called derjiaguin approximation). In our case we
do not have any deformation at contact since we deal with rigid bodies, so I
cannot really see a clear connection. It was just to say why the cylinder
section.

Chia