Re: [Yade-dev] π=2 ?! (Ip2_FrictMat_FrictMat_FrictPhys)

If I can give my opinion (very little since I still have quite a lot to learn in the time yet to come) we know that from the contact mechanics when two particles get in contact (let consider only the case of elastic flattening) we can approximate the area of interaction as πa² (so a flat surface), where a is the current contact area. It is an approximation since we are neglecting the curvature, but it is a useful relation once we want to work out the interaction force due to the interaction surface energy between two particles (it is the so called derjiaguin approximation). In our case we do not have any deformation at contact since we deal with rigid bodies, so I cannot really see a clear connection. It was just to say why the cylinder section.
This is a third possible approach. Here you refer to the real contact area, wich is a surface, not a cylinder, and it is very small compared to the size of grains, right?

Bruno