Re: useShear in ScGeom

On 25 June 2010 19:26, Bruno Chareyre <bruno.chareyre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the way back to Prague (yes, Vaclav lives in the countryside!), I
> simplified a little our last idea :
>
> bool incremental;
>
> void precompute (...,state1,state2,...)
> {
>   if (incremental) {us = incrementalUs; axialRotation=...}
>   else us = ... (totalUs);
> }
>
> The rotate function can be called with no penalty from the Law2s, as soon
> as the axial rotation (a vector3r) is precomputed with state1 and state2,
> and cached in the geometry class. For the other rotation perpendicular to
> contact plane, it only needs previous and current normals, no need to
> access  states. The rotate function would then use normals and precomputed
> axial rotation. It doesn't have to be virtual I think.
>
> This solution doesn't handle the relative velocity, which would not be
> fully optimized, probably not a big deal. Another solution would be to
> precompute relative vel. instead of us increment if incremental. It would be
> more general but it would need to update code in the existing Law2's.

Hi Bruno,
but what about simply using rotateAndGetShear, which is already available?
Splitting this function, as it is partially done, it is useful but in cases
in which some operations into the contact law are necessary (like damping).
You said that that function could be used to rotate any vector (in this case
the input would be a total shear displacement vector instead of shear force)
and it will return the increment shear displacement. No need to update code.
It would be only two lines code more (one line to call the function and save
the returned increment, the other to add the obained increment to the total
shear displ vector).