Re: [Question #198183]: clump packing in 2D

Chiara Modenese proposed the following answer:
On 23/05/12 13:06, ceguo wrote:
> Question #198183 on Yade changed:

> ceguo is still having a problem:
> Thanks Jerome and Luc,
>
> Actually I did some 2d simulations with yade using discs. We had some
> discussions before (e.g. #174453). The solution is some modification in
> makeCloud which tolerates zero size in one dimension. And I blocked DOFs
> as 'zXY'. For the internal calculation, as I set the third dimension of
> O.cell.hSize equal to 1, the volume is equal to area. So the stress calc
> is correct. Particle masses are also set manually.
>
> Now my problem is I want to extend it to clumps. The function
> makeClumpCloud cannot work correctly with zero size in one dimension. I
> guess it can be solved similarly to that in makeCloud but I'm not
> familiar with the code and the algorithm. So I hope anyone can help me.
> More ideally, I wish I can save the clump packing and use ymport to
> import it for later use.
>
> Ning
Hi Ning,

I think you need to play with the axis of orientation of your clumps and
modify the function such that clumps are generated on a plane. It should
be easy to fix but you do need to look into the c++ code of
makeClumpCloud. IICR, this function generates clumps with random
orientation. You need to make sure that that axis is contained on the
plane. Also, make sure your clumps "develop" in 2D.

Chiara