Re: [Question #215571]: 2D makeCloud

Chareyre proposed the following answer:
>the maximum number of particles of the same radius I can put into a box
is achieved by calling the function with the default inputs:
(num=-1,porosity=.5) am I right?

No. Four ways of calling the function are listed in the documentation
and this is not one of them. Obviously, an infinity of combinations of
number and size can give porosity=0.5, so the function doesn't know what
to do. It will error out.

>Does the porosity have something to do with the amount of void space in
the makeCloud box?

Yes clearly. Compare the result of these two calls for instance:
sp.makeCloud(minCorner=(-.1,0,-.1),maxCorner=(.1,0,.1),periodic=False,num=100,porosity=0.99)
sp.makeCloud(minCorner=(-.1,0,-.1),maxCorner=(.1,0,.1),periodic=False,num=100,porosity=0.6)

>is the makeCloud command able to produce a particles distribution like the random one achieved in this way filling the entire box?

No. makeCloud() is here to generate clouds, i.e. loose distributions of
non-touching particles. The porosity will hardly go below 0.6. Dense
packings can only be obtained after further compressing, applying
gravity, growing particles, etc.