Re: [Question #222795]: Sphere - facet interaction

Bruno Chareyre posted a new comment:
Contacts with edge and vertices are mutually exclusive, it is one or the other depending on the projected sphere's center.
We have a paper under review which explains that in details. I can send you a draft version if you like, or you can also see the 2D version of it, which is very similar (*).

One contact can in fact slide on this edges+vertices structure and go across different states without loosing the history:
sphere-edge -> sphere-vertex -> sphere-edge -> etc.

It means that for this specific contact id1 or id2 are changing in time.
Programatically, it is achieved by copying the data of an existing
interaction into a newly created interaction. It needs to carefully
track contacts between spheres and grid elements.

The same concepts of mutual exclusion and tracking over time should be
applied to a network of facet+edge+vertices to solve the current
problems with facets. It will also open up the possibility of dynamic
surfaces(**) provided the implementation is robust.

What do you have in mind? Would you spend time on this?

(*) https://yade-dem.org/w/images/1/1b/Chareyre%26Villard2005_licensed.pdf
(**) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW5IsINjCvw