Re: [Question #226868]: On the unify of all the 3-d triaxial compression

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
Hi Wangxiaoling,

stressMask aside, there are many other differences which make TSC easier
to use, you will discover them eventually.

>1) Are ThreeDTriaxialEngine and TriaxialCompressionEngines going to be
moved away some day?

Yes. Sooner than never. They are still here to let users move
progressively, and because a preprocessor is using TCE.

>what is the main difference for these engines between
ThreeDTriaxialengine and today's, especially on the topics of
strainRate, stressdamping, straindamping?

Well, precisely, there are no big differences (both TDT and TCE inherit
from TSC), and this is a reason to remove redundant code.  TDT is for
the most part an interface to TSC. The few specific features of TDT have
been ported to TSC recently, so there is no reason to use TDT any more.

The targets goal1, goal2, goal3 for each axis represent  strain rate or stress depending on stressMask. The associated damping parameters control how smoothly the targets are reached.
strainRate does not exist in TSC.

> And I found that TriaxialStressController has no setContactProperties

Right. This is because there is setContactFriction() in yade's
namespace. It is no longer necessary to instanciate an engine to change
contact friction (and set**Properties() was a bad name for changing only
friction).

>1) update the postions of wall with stressControl_1 2 3 being False,

stressControl does not exist. Use stressMask / goals, then the walls
will move.

@Nguyen
> (as explained pretty well in the example on the github trunk of YADE).

Thanks!

>the example database is still not clear for the stress probing problem,
yet Yade developpers still have a lot of things to do.

Maybe not that "lot", but yes, the stress probing script will have to be
updated with TSC, stressMask and goals. You maybe know this script more
than me since I did not check it again after the initial release. If you
could give it a try that would greatly help (then append your name/date
at the top so it is easier for everyone to find who can potentially
answer questions).