Re: [Question #228175]: Accelerate the simulation with CUDA

Eugen Kubowsky proposed the following answer:
Hi Ocean,
I'm no developer of this software but I initiated a quite similar discussion some time ago. [1]
Yade does not make really good use of a multicore computer (desktop or workstation) for large number of particles (more than 512k in my case) up to now.
There is a wiki article which is work in progress about that [2]. Because Yade doc and wiki is down right now, I sent a preliminary pdf version of it via email to you. Maybe it helps.

I think you are really welcome to implement some CUDA in Yade but I guess that the core team does not want it in the main branch (at least for now) because CUDA is Nvidia specific and as far as I know not open source.
In my eyes Yade could really benefit from CUDA but there are other options to improve performance at multicore computers  for high number of particles. You read about that in the other performance questions here at launchpad (for example the verletDistance of the contact detection algorithm).  [4]

Have you reviewed some timingStats for your simulations?
When I did, it was obvious that InsertionSortCollider which is the contact detection took increasing time with increasing number of participating particles. It would be interesting to see such box plots (as shown on [2]) for your application, too.

Btw. how much time do you save by using all 8 cores in contrast than
using just 4 cores and running 2 simulations at once? Comparing
performance for a given simulation scenario with varying number of
assigned cores would be a other way to reduce simulation time.

The core parts of Yade are written in c++. I think you should look at
[3]

Hope it helps,
Eugen
---
[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/214316
[2] unfortunately wiki and yade doc is down right now
[3] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/pkg/common/InsertionSortCollider.cpp
[4] https://answers.launchpad.net/yade/+question/215540