Re: [Question #238696]: Time step

Alexander Eulitz [Eugen] posted a new comment:
Hi Jduriez,
I think this is quite easy to answer. If you are using the PWaveTimeStepper, the critical time step is calculated according to the proagation of an elastic (sonic) wave through your packing. Such a wave will propagate slowlier when (contact) damping is introduced because the contact force is reduced by a damping force at each time step, this results in less acceleration -> wave gets slower.
But I'm also interest if there is an analytic solution for determining the critical time step.

Lingran, maybe this discussion if of interest, too:
and this one: