Re: [Question #240608]: How to increase the computing scale in YADE

Fu zuoguang is still having a problem:
Dear Bruno Chareyre and all users:
    Long time no see and thanks for giving me such useful suggestion last time.
I must say sorry first today for my absence of supplying a certain defination of
'simulation scale'. Here, it means simulation ability. In other word, it can be
described as that the number of particles in a simulation is as large as possible
with certian calculation steps, or that the calculation steps in unit time are as
mamy as possible. So, all my questions are to improve the calculation ability or
potential to make it possible for YADE to answer very large problems.
    As I know, there are no less than 2 methods as solutions, of which the first
and direct is to improve the simulation running hardwares and the other is to
modify the simulation codes for getting more execution efficiency than before.
But it is not a very easy task for us to test the second one because it may ask
us to have very rich experience in computer and programming and may cost us months
for working. So, running a simultion in a improved hardware with original codes is
a worthy testing for me.
    My research group bought a workstation for running YADE recently(very expensive, hehe~).
The configuration is as below(including hardwares and system):
(1).8 cores CPU with their frequency 3.00GHz.
(2).16G memory.
(3).Ubuntu 12.04 (64bits)
(4).YADE (1.07-stable)
    So, in this work environment, I have ran a simple biaxial compression test with it
particles number 10000. But the running speed and the cost time is very similar with that
in my original devices last time I told to you. In an other word, improved hardwares had
almost no effect in this test. Then, the number of particles was changed from 10000 to
100000, the running speed is obviously decreased. In order to looking for the reason, I
then started the resource monitor in Ubuntu 12.04. All the two tasks cost almost the same
resources: only 2 CPUs running and 1.3G memory. In an other word, no matter what the running
problems are, just only less than 25% resource of my workstation is used.
    My question is that what can I do to assure the resource of my workstation can be
used as much as possible.