Re: [Question #248341]: Quasi-static simulation

Hi Sina,

> I've got a question regarding numerical stability of a simulation.

I have an impression that your question is not about numerical
stability..

>When do we call a simulation "quasi-static" ? If we keep the unbalanced
force index value under say 0.01 to 0.02, does that mean we are in a
quasi-static regime in the simulation?

There is IMO no strict definition, it depends on circumstances and personal
decision.. you can for example define the state by unbalanced force or you
can use different criterion, like ratio of kinetic and elastic energy.. you
can get very different results. personally I call the check of unbalanced
force as a check of quasi-equilibrium (or quasi-static equilibriun) rather
than quasi-static. Comparing energies sounds for me more natural for
defining if a simulation is static.

Please note that this part of my answer is just my opinion.

>what are the factors that affect this in a simulation?

E.g. damping influences this as more damping dissipate more energy from the
system. Also boundary and initial conditions can have significant influence.

Cheers