Re: [Question #248341]: Quasi-static simulation

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
>When do we call a simulation "quasi-static"

An evolution is quasi-static when every intermediate state is at static equilibrium. With this strict definition most DEM simulations are not QS since there are dynamical events on short timescales.
A less demanding and widely used meaning of QS is that the result is independant on the loading rate, and it provides a clear criterion for judging if a simulation is QS (change the rate: do you have the same result?). This property is also correlated with unbalanced forces, or kinetic / elastic energy.

>what are the factors that affect this in a simulation?

If a particular simulation has a kind a "loading rate", then it is most likely the primary variable controlling quasi-staticity.
QS property is also generally a decreasing function of damping (yes: decreasing). The lower the damping, the better the quasi-staticity.