Re: [Question #253425]: Getting stress from YADE

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
"stress" recorder averages for each body the normal stress or shear stress of all interactions associated to this body.
It needs to assign a cross section to each interaction, which is somehow arbitrary. The mechanical meaning is not clear.
I think we should remove this feature and replace it with bstresses.

> convolution of particle stress with a weight function

Say you define a weight function W (e.g. a normal distribution) centered on (x,y,z), such that W(X,Y,Z) vanish far away from (x,y,z).
The convolution of W with stress reads sum(W(b.pos-(x,y,z)) * stress[b.id])/sum(W(b.pos-(x,y,z)) and gives the stress in particles sufficiently close to (x,y,z).
That way you get a local average defined everywhere by changing x,y,z.