[Question #254986]: Trying to understand simple shear in 3D periodic systems

Hello all,

I am currently looking at studying shear bands in granular materials, and have started working with Yade to that end.

Building from the periodic simple shear example (which uses velGrad to deform the cell), I currently have simulations that seem to lead to sensible stress/strain behaviour and shear band formation. I am only shearing in one direction.

How can I conceptually reconcile a velocity gradient across the sample with triply periodic boundaries? I have no issue with the boundaries perpendicular to the shear direction (front to back, side to side), but the parallel (top to bottom)  can't wrap my head around. Or, frankly, am I completely wrong in my approach here?