Re: [Question #275459]: Damping in Hertz-Mindlin contact law

lichangsheng posted a new comment:
Hi Bettina,

I had a look at (tsuji, 1992).  I think your understanding of the paper of (Tsuji et at., 1992) is correct. It  is described differently in the paper of (tsuji, 1992). The difference between (tsuji, 1992) and (cundall, 1979)  may be that when the contact damping should be addad, before (Tsuji et at., 1992) or after (cundall, 1979) the check for Mohr-Coloumb criterion.I have thought for a few days. In the source code  of yade(HertzMindlin.cpp lines 407-420), I think Mohr-Coulomb criterion may be violated as you described,although it is hard to happen. However, I'm not really sure which approach is better/more correct today.
In the past, I also felt  confused about this question. At present, I often adopt the local damping used in PFC2D (see PFC2D manual, Version 4.0 , Theory and Background). I will ask other people for this question. I will tell you, if I have a answer. I really hope some experts or you can give a reasonable interpretation.

Thanks,
LI Chang-Sheng