Re: [Question #252053]: Yade in PBS

Gary Pekmezi proposed the following answer:
Please forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I would like to
propose a solution for posterity.

I managed to compile Yade (daily) on an SGI ICE X with RHEL 6. The test
would work fine if I ran Yade from the login node. However, when logged
in interactively to a compute node or if I submitted a PBS job (to the
compute node) I received the exact same error, (missing Tkinter), and
had the same problem where Yade would just seem to hang.

1) Eventually I tracked down the issue to a missing library,
specifically libXss.so.1. This library exists at the login node, but not
at the compute node. I don't believe any sysadmin ever imagined this lib
would cause any issues as it is a screensaver extension library, but for
some reason I have not the time to track down, it breaks Tkinter import.
Once I copied the library to my yade directory and added it to my
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH, everything seems to work fine.

2) The hanging/unresponsiveness seems to be a separate issue altogether.
The solution to this is to add sys.stdout.flush() in the input file
after every O.run(). Otherwise the sys.stdout gets lost in the aether.