Re: [Question #281059]: Yade for modelling Clay soils in shear

Hello Mehdi,

the easiest approach for the beginning is to model everything with spheres
/ clumps of (possibly overlapping) spheres. With this approach, you can
approximate various shapes (plate-like cuboids, fibres...) and it is very
easy

However, for "distant" interactions, each sphere would behave on its own.
So if two such clumps interact, in fact each sphere of one clump interact
with many spheres from the other clump, so resulting force on one point of
the first clump would be something like integral over the second clump. And
total force on the first clump something like integral over the first clump
summing contributions of each sphere. It could be very nice feature or
could be a problem :-) so please give a bit more information (see below)

What would be needed to implement is the material model. We can help you in
the beginning, creating the very basic c++ files such that you can only
concentrate on the equations. We did it before for bubble interactions and
it worked OK.

So now I have the feeling it could be done with not very big effort. Before
really confirming it (not to be the person who suggested you the completely
wrong direction :-), I have a few more questions / requests:
- do you have / is it easy to create some "patch test", simple analytical
solution to test the implementation? Something like interaction of two
particles and particle to fibre, with a few different orientations.
- what do the forces between particles depend on? Apart from material
properties, it should be only distance.. Does it fit your assumptions?
- concerning forces, could you please try to describe what you would like
to achieve? Some equations, assumptions, how far the forces are supposed to
act (relatively to the clay particle size), what they depend on etc. etc.
- have you used / tested Yade before? It needs Linux, uses Python (so you
need at least some Python scripting knowledge even for the very basic
usage) etc...
- what operating system do you use?
- anything else you feel is relevant..

thanks for the information