Re: [Question #281059]: Yade for modelling Clay soils in shear

However, I think it is better to initially solve
> easier form of our problem (i.e., modelling dry soil without fibres'
> contribution) and once it is verified with Yade platform then we can add
> to it to include the effect of fibres.

good idea :-)

> What is the maximum number of
> particles that can be used in Yade? Assuming that clay particles are
> very small and a small sample of 50mm (dia.) and 100mm(height) will
> include millions of particles. Perhaps we can bond some particles
> together to create agglomerates. However, the other issue is the
> relative size of the fibres compared to clay particles as they can
> connect two particles or hundreds of particles.

The number of particles is theoretically unlimited. What limits maximum
number is:
- available memory of your computer
- available simulation time (the more particles you uses, the more time you
will have to wait for the results)

I personally used maximally 500k particles, approaching the RAM limit of my
computer. Usually I use between 20k and 150k particles without problem

Looking for the picture of the experiment, I am a bit skeptic about the
feasibility to simulate the whole experiment with very small particles.. I
assume it is quasi-static loading, so using explicit dynamic code, which
needs very short time step, would make the simulation time very long..

As an alternative, modeling just part of the specimen should be ok, some
multiscale approach could also be possible

you can try some of the examples [1] modifying the particle size and amount
to get some feeling what is possible. The examples are with spheres,
simulation with any other shape would be slower..

cheers
Jan

[1] http://yade-dem.org/doc/tutorial-examples.html