Re: [Question #292846]: Particle packing - How to avoid overlap

VG is still having a problem:
Thinking about this problem more, this might not actually be a bug. As you outlined, the difference between the previous version and "fixed" version is:
- Previous version: Pack all the smaller spheres within the predicate (bigger sphere), such that the centers of smaller spheres are within the boundary of predicate.
- Fixed version: Only the smaller spheres which are entirely contained within the predicate are considered.

What the fixed version does can also possibly be attained by pack.inSphere((s[0][0],s[0][1],s[0][2]),(s[1]-particle_radius)).
Correct me if I am wrong.

That still doesn't solve the physical problem I am trying to set up. I
should give a better description of the problem I am trying to solve, if
there is a better set up possible for the problem:

-- I have a granular sample with given input particle size distribution.
Under mechanical loading, these particles will break and I want to get
the resulting particle size distribution.

-- I am representing the input particle size distribution with spherical
particles of diameters D1, D2, D3 etc. All of such big particles are
composed of smaller particles of diameter 'd', since d is the smallest
particle size of interest.

-- Initially, within each big spherical particle, all the smaller
particles should be densely packed and connected with cohesive bonds. As
the loading is applied, the initially defined cohesive bonds within each
big sphere will break progressively leading to smaller fragments, giving
a new particle size distribution.

The major problems I am facing in the current script are:

-- Smaller particles from two different predicates (big spheres) tend to
overlap.

-- I am noticing that sometimes cohesive bond gets formed between two
smaller particles of different predicates. I would like to avoid this,
since I only want non-cohesive contact between the two different big
spheres.

-- Initially, within a single big sphere itself, sometimes there are
particles which are shown not to have any cohesive interaction, leaving
that small single particle free to fly.

Are there workarounds which can alleviate these problems ?  Or if there is an alternative and better way to set up this problem ?

Thanks
Varun