Re: [Question #293955]: How to generate dense packing of aggregates

Hi Varun,

> I will study this more and try to figure out how I can set up my
> simulation this way. Are there any example scripts which I can look at,
> that use this kind of arrangement - i.e. generate the sample in one
> simulation and then use that to run the main simulation.

I don't know about any example, but the method is straightforward, see
Jerome's #1 answer. You can either use predefined functions, or write your
own, not a big deal

> If I understand this procedure correctly, then there might be a problem
> described as follows:
>  if I generate a dense packing using this procedure, aggregates will be
> closely packed and the particles from different aggregates will come in
> contact. Then, the automated way of setting cohesive bonds will lead to
> cohesive bonds between particles of two different aggregates as well.

yes, with dense pack you would have this problem by default.. You have to
use some other trick :-) As there has been a couple of questions on this
topic, I will prepare an example script on this.. will inform you.

> In my current setting (in MWE), the aggregates are initially far enough
> that there is no cohesive bond formation between particles of different
> aggregates when I run it for one step. After running it for one step,
> then the aggregates come close together due to application of loading
> but no new cohesive bond formation takes place. So I am essentially able
> to achieve the setting I want, except that the overall packing is not
> dense.
>
> Now, is there a possibility of doing something like:
>
> 1. Do the steps I am doing right now in MWE, run it for one step to
> establish the desired cohesive bonds. Set the cohesive bond strength
> very high initially, so that the cohesive bonds don't break when I run
> the PeriIsoCompressor engine in next step.
>
> 2. Run the PeriIsoCompressor engine upto the desired stress levels to
> obtain dense packing. It will lead to some reduced dimension of the
> periodic cell- I am not sure how to get those dimensions.
>
> 3. Somehow disable the PeriIsoCompressor engine. Add top and bottom
> plates to the scene based on the dimensions of the periodic cell. Reset
> the value of the cohesive bond strength to the original and more
> realistic value, like how it is being done in the current MWE script.
>
> 4. Then run the simulation in a regular way.

Yes, such procedure is possible, but I would not recommend it. The sample
preparation may take pretty long time (the compression, makeCloud is very
fast), so the saving has the advantage that once you create and save a
sample, you can use it several time without the need to spent time on
preparation every time.

cheers