Re: [Question #294113]: shear flow in periodic cell

Thus,in my opinion, the periodic boundary plays a same role, to some
> extent, as a plate

agree

There would be a maximum shear strain, which occurs when the lateral
> boundary becomes horizontal. So, what's the role of periodic cell?

I am not sure if I understood this point.. but "when the lateral boundary
becomes horizontal" is the extreme case when the 3d space is degenerated to
a plane. It is the maximum shear strain (also as you write) possible you
can get, resulting in zero volume of material.

The role of periodic cell is that the sample is periodic :-) In the case of
"horizontal lateral boundary", the periodic cell has no meaning, as its
volume is zero so probably you would get some very strange behavior, like
infinite number of contacts.

If I did not answer to your question or missed something, please be more
specific, possibly also sending a link to an image (pictures can't be put
directly to answers) of your problem.
cheers

: