Re: [Question #293955]: How to generate dense packing of aggregates

Hi Varun,

> Question #293955 on Yade changed:
>
> VG posted a new comment:
> Hello Jan,
>
> I have a follow-up question: I modified the compress.py script a little
> bit to generate a periodic packing. Now, how do I use this compressed
> packing in my main periodic simulation (MWE posted in #1 above) ? The
> specific problems are:
>
> 1. How to get the size of periodic cell for main simulation, since the
> compressed sample is going to be of smaller dimensions.

trial and error :-) First you can try what deviation you get for repeated
runs. For not too few particles, The final dimensions should differ a few
percents (my experience from randomPeriPack usage, which is similar).

Another solution is to save also the dimension of resulting cell and in the
simulation use that one.

> 2. How to fit the sample exactly in the periodic cell of main
> simulation, since the locations are going to be different ?

there should exist some initial dimensions, which don't differ much after
the compression

> 3. I want periodicity in x and z directions, but I am using top and
> bottom boxes in the vertical direction to restrict periodicity in y
> direction. I need to place these plates such that they precisely fit the
> periodic cell in x & z direction, and contain the granular sample in
> y-direction. Now, if I get the solution to above two, that should be
> doable.

I think so

cheers