Re: [Question #294113]: shear flow in periodic cell

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
> Thus,in my opinion, the periodic boundary plays a same role, to some
extent, as a plate.

I don't agree. The periodic cell is just a visualization trick.
What PBC really means is that there is no boundaries (the equivalent "plate" can't be located anywhere). It is an infinite-sized problem.

> There would be a maximum shear strain, which occurs when the lateral
boundary becomes horizontal [...] Is there any similar means, as Lees
and Edwards' condition, in which the periodic cell keeps stationary?

Lees and Edwards' condition makes absolutely no difference on this particular question. Since the periodic cell is just an arbitrary postprocessing trick there is no reason to pay attention to the "horizontal boundary" situation from a mechanical perspective.
The real difference between Lees and Edwards (which you actually get with homoDeform=0) and the default behaviour of yade is that LW is not homogeneous.

Actually the problem of the horizontal boundary is also an algorithmic
issue in contact detection (which currently relies on the periodic
cell). A way to solve it is to drag the boc back to the origin
periodically but this feature is not well implemented yet.