Re: [Question #404455]: damping in ViscElMat

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Hi,

I think you should choose what is the "best" method according to your
goal only.

If your goal is to have the loosest possible state, and numerical
damping allows that and not contact viscous damping, then numerical
damping is the best method. Period.

I'm not surprised you get different porosities with these two cases:
your isotropic compression is probably not quasistatic (like for other
users, me at least) and all the oscillations you get during this phase
will tend to densify your packing.

You observed that numerical damping is a better trick to damp these
oscillations and not densify your packing, then just stick with
numerical damping.

Which numerical method you're using to construct your packing is not really important in my opinion, what matters is the state of the packing after generation, and what parameters you'll use for the actual simulation.
(For this second phase, I'd understand you prefer include damping from a physically based visco-elastic contact law rather than using non-existing in nature numerical damping forces)