Re: [Question #404513]: Is there any possibility that GPU be apllied in the calculation of YADE?

Bruno Chareyre proposed the following answer:
> GPU implementation is almost impossible for YADE

Not sure what it really means. If someone was going for GPU he would
have to be prepared for big changes in the code of course, like for
every other computer code. Wasn't it implicit in your question?

>DEM is really fit for GPU implementation

Not so sure. According to [1] GPU gives x7 speedup compared to single-core CPU. Which is pretty bad, we get nearly the same speedup from 12-cores OpenMP for large problems. In [2] the speedup was x10 but the comparison was unfair since the code tested on the GPU was a better re-implementation of the old sub-optimal code that was tested on the CPU, i.e. some small scale optimizations independent of CPU/GPU were also counted.
Nothing really impressive overall.

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1301.1714
[2] https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00733674/document