[Question #599179]: Capillary contact law

Hi

I have few questions regarding how to capillary law in conjunction with linear contact model works:

1) So far what i followed by reading (and referring to the documentation) the capillary effects are only considered when the penetrationDepth<0; otherwise it follows a linear contact model (i.e. cundall strack). So, in compression penetrationDepth is always > 0 even for lower stress levels, which disables any effect of the capillary pressure on response of the packing under isotropic compression; i can understand this problem in terms of physics where the main focus is on the tensile nature of capillary force between two interacting particles, but from the unsaturated soil mechanics point of view the effects of capillary pressure is also dominant in compression. We have a very famous relation which relates capillary pressure with material yielding in compression; Loading-collapse curve (according to the famous Basic Barcelona Model [1]) where the yield strength increases with capillary pressure.

Given the existing model in YADE is it possible to establish such relation?

2) If not then what can be done such that this phenomenon which is very important from elasto-plastic point of view insoil mechanics can be captured, as this relationship controls the size of the yield surface.

I do not know to what extent my question is understandable, but i hope my question is very clear and pertinent to the existing knowledge in soil mechanics.

Thanks
Amiya

[1] http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/geot.1990.40.3.405