Re: [Question #665293]: Issues with implementation of Law2_ScGeom_CapillaryPhys_Capillarity

Jérôme Duriez proposed the following answer:
Hi,

I'm sorry if these MATLAB scripts added some confusion...

0. You do not need to consider these MATLAB scripts if you're happy with the set of capillary files (considering a 0 wetting angle, for instance) that are provided on the wiki.
Just download these files, and you can perform YADE simulations using Law2_ScGeom_CapillaryPhys_Capillarity

Is there something which made you think something else ?

1. In the MATLAB scripts, rRatioVec is a list (vector) of particle radii ratio "r", where r = R2 / R1 with R1, R2 being the two radii of a given pair of particles (between which the capillary bridge is computed)

The length and components of rRatioVec are fully adjustable, but you
would then need to adjust the source code of
Law2_ScGeom_CapillaryPhys_Capillarity [1] as well, because you would
have another set of capillary files that
Law2_ScGeom_CapillaryPhys_Capillarity is reading at startup.

2. If you wanna tune the contact angle, you have to play with "theta" [2] in the MATLAB scripts, generate yourself a new set of capillary files, and be sure Law2_ScGeom_CapillaryPhys_Capillarity will read them (see above).

3. As for the capillary pressure, the latter is actually supposed to be constant during YADE simulations (and the bridge volume is changing during stretching). We consider our simulations to be at uniform (and constant, unless you manually change it) capillary pressure, this is an assumption.

There is some discretization of the capillary pressure generating the
capillary files (you indeed have many different capillary pressure
values in the capillary files), but this plays no role during the actual
YADE simulation.

Jerome

[1] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/pkg/dem/Law2_ScGeom_CapillaryPhys_Capillarity.cpp#L25 to L34
[2] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/examples/capillaryLaplaceYoung/writesCapFile.m#L16