[Question #665379]: penetrationDepth calculation

Hi, I would like to understand the way "penetrationDepth" is calculated. For instance, in a simple collision between two identical spheres I've seen that it does not correspond to x1-x2-2*r where r is the radius of the spheres. I've been looking into the code and found for instance in Sphere_Sphere_ScGeom https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/pkg/dem/Ig2_Sphere_Sphere_ScGeom.cpp (line 21)
that the distance is shifted by a vector "shift2" which is passed to the function
Vector3r normal=(se32.position+shift2)-se31.position;
but whose definition I cannot trace back

I suspect that this serves the purpose of interlaced force evaluation for runge kutta etc. but I would like to have a confirmation

Thanks for any help

Andrea