Re: [Question #668026]: detailed step-by-step tutorial for manual installation

Robert Caulk requested more information:
Which version of linux you are trying to compile yade on? What kinds of
errors are you encountering? Which part of the installation doesn't
work? It is entirely possible that such a document exists. Please refer
to [1]. Help us help you.

>since I am using a server with multiple processors and cores

Do you want to use multiple nodes (MPI)? The current release of Yade is
limited to single-node parallelization since it is built on OpenMP. If
you need to use multiple nodes, you need a DEM software built on MPI,
like LIGGGHTS or ESys-Particle.

>I tried performing the manual installation several times, however, due
to my little knowledge, I must be doing something wrong.

Manual installations are tricky, and the compiled installation
instructions need to be tailored for each linux flavor. For any linux
version other than Ubuntu, you need to compile the third party libraries
before compiling Yade. You will find some people in this forum who
installed Yade on a CentOs server. I've installed Yade on Ubuntu
servers.

>this explanation is vague and unintuitive.

I find the installation instructions clear and concise for Ubuntu
installations.

>I believe that if someone has already done this installation before,
they should have created a step-by-step guide, such a document would be
of great help.

I agree. If the guide does not exist, I will encourage you to figure it
out and write it up for the community :-).

[1]https://yade-dem.org/wiki/Howtoask