Re: [Question #671283]: Wierd volumetric strain during triaxial tests under different confining pressure

Robert Caulk proposed the following answer:
Hello,

volume strain relationship is a little different from before."

Please elaborate.

I did triaxial tests with PFC with linear contact model under different confining pressures and everything is fine.

Are you aware that you are using a linear elastic-plastic model [1]? Did
your PFC model include rolling resistance?  I would expect dilation and
shear banding behaviors to be more accurate when rolling resistance is
considered.

Looking briefly at [2] (using Yade with a similar constitutive law to
yours), I think they observed the same behavior you are observing -
lower confining pressures result in more dilation. So, this may not be a
"problem" with the code as you suggest. Instead, if you refuse to accept
the physical accuracy of this conclusion, it might be a nice opportunity
to re-evaluate the constitutive law and modify as you see fit :-). The
beauty of Yade.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]https://yade-dem.org/doc/yade.wrapper.html#yade.wrapper.Law2_ScGeom_FrictViscoPhys_CundallStrackVisco